• This “Kenai” flannel hooded jacket in organic cotton is half-off from Loomstate! A lightweight flannel zip-up jacket with a foldaway hood hidden in the zipped stadium rib collar. Body is lined in organic cotton flannel. Features an interior chest pocket and two snap closure waist pockets.
• Georges Laraque’s days of checking people on the ice are over as of last year, but he’s been busy getting people to check themselves before they wreck themselves with his vegan restaurants in Canada – Crudessence, with four locations in Montreal. Political office may also be in his future as Canada’s Green Party chose him to be their new deputy leader for showcasing such passion and eloquence concerning ethical and environmental issues. A recent article in Canada’s National Post says:
On the surface, the causes and activities Mr. Laraque, 34, has embraced seem worlds away from his life as a professional athlete. But the way he sees it, they are in keeping with the defiant approach to life he has taken since he was a child. “If you tell me I’m not going to make it, I’m going to make it,” he said in an interview at his restaurant, Crudessence. It is an approach shaped by his experience of racism at a young age.
• Loomstate has partnered with Keds to make these cool, vegan, organic canvas boots with recycled tire soles and faux-shearling lining. These are great for cold weather and for looking snappy. Might I suggest waterproofing the canvas with a vegan waterproofer? Sustainably leather-free and $110.
• Loomstate’s organic cotton chinos are great because they’re got karmic-chameleon quality. Put on a blazer and, viola, you have a suit. Put on a tee and sneakers, and abracadabra, you have the perfect weekend wandering wardrobe. $156 at Loomstate.org
• FOX news is like a backwards sewage system: pumping waste and filth into our homes and offices. Most of us would like to vomit when we see and hear this crap. That’s why I am signing the Turn Off FOX petition that says “I won’t play Fox News in my home, and I’m calling on businesses and other public establishments to stop playing Fox. I don’t want Fox spreading hate, lies, and division in my community and want to support businesses that are Fox-free”. Take two minutes to sign this, and get a free sticker that you see on the right!
• These are rad, plain and simple. Vegan, unisex moccasin-style sneaks from Keep. $75
• The new fall organic cotton tees from Loomstate hit the spot. $60
(But hey, Loomstate, I’m super bummed to see you starting to use livestock products like wool in sweaters, a leading causes of greenhouse gas emissions.)
• Chloe Jo at Girlie Girl Army introduces us to the unpressed collection from Unstitched Utilities, featuring Tyvek® material. These shoes are super lightweight, strong, casual, and comfortable. Tyvek is a made of recycled material that is lightweight and looks like paper, but is stronger than leather.
• You make me sick! Who wants to eat a chicken’s menstrual-cycle, anyway? With the largest egg recall in US history (more than a half billion eggs) and another huge meat recall in the works, now is best time to ditch animal products, if you haven’t already! Replacing eggs in cooking and baking is a cinch, choose any of these options:
- • 1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg (perfect for cake).
- • 1/2 banana = 1 egg (delicious in pancakes/muffins)
- • Ener-G Egg Replacer – follow directions on box.
- • 2 tbsp cornstarch= 1 egg
- • 2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
- • 2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
- • 1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
- • 2 tbsp applesauce = 1 egg (great in brownies)