I made this veggie burger as my entry to the Blackbird Parlour Veggie Burger Contest! I’ll let you know if I make it the finals. My taste buds think I will…
What You’ll Need:
- • 1 tbs olive oil (for sauteing)
- • 1 apple, diced
- • 4 cloves garlic, diced
- • 2 med-large shallots, diced
- • 4 cups mixed mushrooms, diced
- • 15oz. can black beans, including liquid
- • 1/4 cup water (or wine)
- • 2 unsalted veg bouillon cubes
- • 1 tsp liquid smoke
- • 4 Tbs nutritional yeast
- • 1 tsp tamari
- • 1 Tbs tomato paste
- • 1 tbs fresh tarragon, diced
- • 2 tsp salt
- • 1 tsp black pepper
- • 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- • 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- • toppings
- 1. Boil the brown rice until tender with one bouillon cube
- 2. Meanwhile, In a large pan, saute in 1 tbs oil, the apple, garlic, shallots, mushrooms, and beans.
- 3. After about 15 minutes, add 1/4 cup water, the bouillon cube, liquid smoke, yeast, tamari, tomato paste, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- 4. Use a large fork to mash up the beans and combine the ingredients in the pan. Continue cooking until it has a thick paté texture (about 15 more mins).
- 5. Add the cooked rice and the vital wheat gluten
- 6. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes
- 7. Form into patties and saute at med heat.
- 8. Serve on a bun with the toppings of our choice. Today I used whole-grain mustard, ketchup, tomato, onion, vegan Daiya cheese, avocado, pickles and kale.