Despite mounting pressure from around the world to end the commercial slaughter of seals, the Canadian government authorized seal hunters to kill 275,000 harp seals in 2008, one of the highest quotas in recent history. The slaughter officially opens at dawn on March 28.
- Sign up to receive text message updates from the ice on your cell phone.
- Sign up for Seal Watch and receive frequent e-mail updates during the seal hunt from Rebecca Aldworth, our director of Canadian Wildlife Issues.
- Download our Pocket Guide to Boycotting Canadian Seafood, which tells you how to identify and avoid seafood imported from Canada.
- Gear up to protect seals.
- Ask these companies to join the Canadian seafood boycott and thank the chefs, restaurants, stores, and other companies that have put their money where their hearts are by signing our pledge.
- Visit humanesociety.org/protectseals for the latest updates and to learn more about what you can do to stop the hunt.
- Donate now to the ProtectSeals campaign.
Click here to read FAQ about the seal hunt, including responses to typical rationalizations such as seal overpopulation.