Photo by Michael Beauplet for The Wild Magazine
Joshua Katcher is an adjunct professor of fashion at Parsons The New School. His research focuses on sustainability and ethics in fashion production. Katcher started The Discerning Brute men’s lifestyle website in 2008, focusing on “fashion, food and etiquette for the ethically handsome man”, highlighting visionaries and creating discourse with creative-influencers who want to redesign the world, redefine success, and look good doing it.
Katcher launched the Brave GentleMan label and eCommerce store in 2010. Brave GentleMan is a fusion of future-textiles with centuries-old production methodology. Utilizing “future suede”, “future leather” and “future wool”, which are superior to problematic animal-fibers, founder and creative director Joshua Katcher has created a high-end, sustainable and ethically-made Men’s Collection. Brave GentleMan offers luxury New York made suiting, premium footwear produced in Portugal and hats made in Los Angeles. Along with “future-leather” accessories made in New York’s Historic Garment Center and Gloversville, New York.
Joshua has been an adjunct Professor at Parsons The New School in the Fashion BFA program, and frequently tours with his lecture: “Fashion & Animals: The Anatomy of A Fatal Attraction”. He has spoken at Princeton, The American University of Paris, Brown, UPenn, and FIT among others.
“In order for fashion to be truly good, the handsomeness of an object must be matched by the handsomeness of how it was made. There is poetic grace and heightened pleasure in fashions of conscientious construction.” – Joshua Katcher
He has been getting some notable notoriety for his efforts (see PRESS)
• A 2014 Man of the Year for COCO ECO Magazine
• BlackBook “blogger and fashion snob (in the best sense) Joshua Katcher”
• The Wild Magazine “Katcher is a modern day hero in the making…”
• W Magazine: “Joshua Katcher, the force behind The Discerning Brute”
• UK’s The Guardian: “New Year, New Cool, “The New Sexy Vegan: Joshua Katcher”
• StyleLikeU: “He’s so at peace with his ideals that it is infectious”
• Alicia Silverstone’s “The Kind Life”: “Stop the press! Check out these beautiful, very stylish men’s suits and the loveliest men’s shoes I have ever seen!”
• Oprah.com: “Vegan superstar Joshua Katcher”
• Time Out NY: “Katcher’s sleek, tailored accessories are inspired by the dandy aesthetic• Ecouterre: “Brave GentleMan…It’s never been manlier to be vegan.”
• VegNews Magazine: “Ethical Style Icon”
• Full Frontal Fashion: ” …involved in seemingly endless — and ultimately inspiring — projects, is proof that believing in what you do, and being dedicated to a cause, will get you everywhere” – See more at: http://thediscerningbrute.com/press/#sthash.Mq3F8sf0.dpuf
Joshua is available for speaking engagements, workshops, and personal consultations. EMAIL